DOGGY POTTY MAINTENANCE AND TRAINING
UNWRAP your Doggy Potty AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE IT.
FALL/WINTER SEASON PATCH MAINTENANCE
Little maintenance is required to get your Real Grass Doggy Potty to stay green in the Fall/Winter months.
In the fall, the patch arrives with enough moisture to have it last 1-2 weeks. After that, you need to water the potty with 3-5 cups of water every 3-5 days. The goal is to keep the soil moist, but not soaked and muddy. However, in the Vancouver area, since we do have rain, it is best to just keep an eye on it, and water when you feel it needs it.
In the Winter months, when temperatures are below zero, do not water your Doggy Potty. If temperatures rise above zero, you can water with 2-4 cups of water every 5 days or so to ensure patch stays moist, but not soaked.
If kept inside, please water 3-4 cups every few days to keep the soil very moist, but not soaked and muddy.
- Put DOGGY POTTY wherever you would like your dog to go potty (we recommend a balcony/patio).
- Wait for a time when your know your doggy has to "go".
- It is super important to remain very calm and supportive when asking your pet to use their potty.
- Walk your doggy on leash straight to the potty, and give the prompt or cue you’ve chosen, such as “go pee” or “go potty”. You can try this off leash as well, by sending them to the potty on their own. Also, if your doggy really loves privacy, give them some! Hide somewhere while they are trying to do their business :)
- Slightly praise any good behaviour like walking on the potty. Call your doggy off the patch if they are chewing or lying down on the patch. The Doggy Potty should be strictly for pees and poops.
- If your doggy doesn’t go within 15 minutes of being out with the potty, bring them in and try again in about 5 minutes. Continue this process until you have success or for 45 minutes, whatever comes first! Remember to stay calm and supportive.
- If your doggy has not peed after this process, wait an hour or so before you take them elsewhere to pee. If you take them elsewhere to pee right after the Doggy Potty training you will reinforce that if they wait, they will be rewarded with going pee elsewhere.
- Repeat this process at the same "go pee" time at least 5 days a week. If you do this your pooch should master it in no time.
- When your Doggy uses the potty, praise them enthusiastically and give them lots of treats! Seriously, have a party for your pooch. They will want to keep using it time and time again. Each time your pet uses it, give them super praise!
- If your Doggy is still having trouble, we recommend transferring the scent of your doggy's urine onto the potty with a paper towel.
- You can also use a target with your pets scent on it. Some pooches, especially males, love targets! Amazon sells a few little statues, however, even a big rock will work as well! It is important to establish one location for the DOGGY POTTY so you do not confuse your fur-baby.
If you have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us - We are here to help!